Tuesday, December 7, 2010

For the love of curry

I love curry because it can have the perfect balance of sweet and savory.  I was craving to cook, try some kind of pineapple curry and craving to try my new sweet yellow curry powder from Penzey's.  I stopped at The Wedge on my way home from class and picked up some fresh veggies I thought would be delicious in a curry and also some Thai basil, which I have never tried but new would be perfect for a curry.  I couldn't find a decent recipe for yellow curry that used yellow curry powder, so I pretty much just went with what I had, and what sounded like it would work.

I sauteed the veggies (carrots, red bell pepper, canned pineapple, canned tomatoes, onion) in some oil, and once they were softened, but not totally cooked, I added some coconut milk, the Thai basil and a lot of the curry powder along with some cayenne for added heat.  I covered the pan and let the curry simmer to let all the flavors marry and develop.





 I used chopped Thai basil and scallions as garnish.



I served the curry over white rice made in chicken broth (my fav way to make rice fluffy). It was an experiment, for sure, but it turned out really delicious.  I was in love with the sweetness the coconut milk provided and the tartness from the pineapple, although in the future I'd add more cayenne for more spice.  The basil was fragrant similar to Italian basil, but in a different way I can't really explain.  I got to try new ingredients and I'm excited to try this dish many more times, assuming I made mistakes.  I'd love to learn more recipes using sweet yellow curry so I can really, truly learn to make curry, so please share any you may have!

It was also delicious today when I served the leftovers over quinoa!




P.s. I'm trying to find a place in my house that has proper lighting for food..the pictures I have been taking don't do the food justice.

5 comments:

  1. You should send this to Penzey's. They'd love to hear about it, I'm sure.

    Mom

    PS. I think the pics have a lovely warm glow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Looks delicious!! I really like your idea to serve over quinoa; I haven't experimented with quinoa nearly enough. We really need to get our minds together and make some culinary magic sometime over break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! Way to go yellow with the curry. Glad Penzey's had it. I have been lurking since we met through kafe 421, it's jaclyn. What about window light and photos taken from above?
    www.orangette.blogspot.com does this quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited you found me! thanks for the tip I'm definitely going to try new ways to take pictures and natural light would work better than the lighting in my house..too bad it is dark at like 3. hope you keep checking back and we can continue to talk food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, the writer from Orangette, Molly Wizenberg is like my idol. She started blogging and now owns her own restaurant with her husband she met through her blog and writes for Bon Appetit.

    ReplyDelete

Followers