Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Favorite Fall Foods

Fall brings around some of the best fruits, vegetables and dishes of the year.  Things like butternut squash soup, pumpkin bread and fresh honeycrisp apples are just a couple of my favorite season foods.  The flavors are warmer and more comforting and offer me a sense of nostalgia.  The colors of fall produce are colored as vibrantly as the trees with bright red apples and orange, yellow and green root vegetables like pears, squash and potatoes.  Eating seasonally is a major part of sustainable food and is a great way to eat healthier, eat locally and to eat produce at its peak.  I found a great website that can guide you to know what is season week by week that is called Eat the Seasons.

I want to share with you some recipes I've made and have found to be absolutely delicious and some I can't wait to try.  They showcase the season's flavors and will make your whole house smell like a big fat hug.  So please, enjoy.  Enjoy fall for everything it has to offer and don't be too down about summer ending, too stressed out about back to school or even about the upcoming holidays.  Although, I don't blame you for stressing about Brett Favre because he can do that to ya.
 



I'd love to know...what are some of your favorite fall foods?

4 comments:

  1. Lauren your blog is amazing! I am a food fan too- love to cook, love to eat. I want to cook or go eat sometime with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why haven't we tried all of these recipies?? But more importantly, where is the entry about sweet potato fries and pumpkin bread??
    Classics as far as food and fall go...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I love learning how to eat and cook seasonaly. Have you tried the zucchini blossoms? They are really tasty (though not good for you at all!).

    Sonja is actually from Minneapolis, before I got her stuck in Indiana. We really enjoy your blog.

    Some of our friends have a restaurant review blog that you may enjoy: http://wegotserved.blogspot.com/

    Enjoy the season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren I love your blog so much! - especially the part where you said "the season's flavors will make your house feel like a big fat hug" because that is exactly how my house smelled last night when my dad made beef stew with tomatoes potatoes and carrots. SO delicious and one of my favorite meals when it gets chilly.

    ReplyDelete

Followers