Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Late Night at Corner Table


I was lucky enough to attend a late night dinner at Scott Pampuch's Corner Table put on by KBEM's restaurantour.  It was a pre-set dinner with a Belgium theme paired with Belgium beer.  Although I could not participate in the beer tasting, I enjoyed their housemade soda: cranberry ginger-ale with rosemary; both seasonal and refreshing.


Pampuch made it known exactly whose restaurant it was when he alerted a customer that it is not a good idea to stand on a chair and unscrew a light bulb, no matter how glaring the light may be.  Apparently, the team at Corner Table has more than succeeded at creating a "home-y" feel to their restaurant because it was obvious this customer felt he was at home.  Needless to say I think it is a good idea to leave the housekeeping to the staff.  Despite this minor stresser, the team was able to produce 40 meals without a hitch.

Pampuch is well known in the city for being a leader and active advocate of local food and local farm support.  This was more than evident in his food that night with local rabbit (no, not ones running down Nicollet, but a farm) local vegetables and cream and butter like I've never tasted.  I could not stop slathering that butter over the perfect bread offered, which I assume was baked at Rustica.  Pampuch also noted the simplicity of "just cream" which was featured on his dessert.  No extra stuff like honey and sugar, but delicious pure whipped cream.

Thousand Hills cattle grassfed beef and fried potatoes "steak frites"
Rabbit terrine with braised rabbit and vegetables in an apple cider
Belgium waffle with Belgium chocolate, cookie and cream
I like the irony of celebrating and using local ingredients and farms to create Belgium cuisine.  From the couple sips I stole from my Mother's beer, I could see the why the beers were paired with the food.  None of the beers were too heavy or overly powerful and offered complementary flavors.


It was a warm evening on a very cold night.  One that ended with me spending 20 minutes thawing my Mom's car and chipping at the inch of ice that accumulated during dinner.  Nonetheless, it was a night filled with delicious food, new flavors (I didn't know I liked brussel sprouts and rabbit) and great conversation (other then when everyone told their own rabbit story..not so appetizing while eating one)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers