Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Fall in a Bowl

It's a classic.  I mean, it really is.  Butternut squash soup.  But why stop there? I added an apple, onion and sweet potato.  After exploiting my mother at the grocery store yesterday, I came home to a fully stocked pantry and fridge.  I was so excited to come home and survey my produce and come up with something delicious for dinner.  I decided to use my butternut squash for a soup.  My sweet potatoes, apples, onions and garlic looked like they wanted to join, so I decided to search online for a recipe including these ingredients.  After searching through about a dozen recipes, I decided to take matters into my own hands and do simply what I thought would taste good.  It turned out wonderfully, and definitely a flavor combination I'll keep in my back pocket.  I'm not a huge fan of writing recipes because I like to taste as I go and when it comes to soup, you don't really need measurements.  Once you know certain simple techniques it is so easy to make a soup and you can add flavor as you'd like.  I'd love to share the method and ingredients that went into making my wonderful soup.

INGREDIENTS:
  •  1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
  • 1 Apple, peeled and chopped (I used honeycrisp)
  • 1 Sweet potato, peeled and chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 3-4 cups of chicken broth and water depending on choice of consistency
  • Olive oil for sprinkling over vegetables before roasting
  • Salt & pepper
  • I used varied sprinkles of:
    • Cinnamon
    • Nutmeg
    • Chili powder
    • Sage
    • Ground ginger
  • Green onions (chopped, optional garnish)


I began by chopping up all the produce (with no peeler, I may add...took quite a while to peel a potato, squash and apple with just a knife) and massaged some some salt, pepper and olive oil throughout.  Then I threw it in the oven at 425 to roast for about 30 minutes.  Roasting the vegetables allows them to soften and be able to be blended and also brings out their natural flavors.  My house smelled so amazing I couldn't wait to take them out of the oven.  When you are roasting vegetables, they sometimes make a whistling sound that lets you know they are done, but you can also use a fork to make sure they are tender.  I added the roasted veggies to a large pot with the stock and then the fun began.  I added the liquid and produce to a blender in small amounts to ensure it didn't overflow.  I added veggies, stock, veggies, stock until I found a texture I liked.  The potato and squash are so starchy that it is easy for the mixture to turn into a thick pureé, rather than a soup so make sure to add liquid accordingly to make it as thick/thin as you like.  I personally prefer a consistency that is smooth, creamy, and not too thick.  I want to add that the soup does not include any cream, milk or butter and still reached a wonderful texture with just water, olive oil and stock.  Once you have all of the veggies pureed, return to large pot and put over heat.  Add spices, herbs, and liquid accordingly to taste.  I garnished my bowl with some finely chopped scallions.

The most important thing about making a soup is to not worry.  There is so much room for error and you can always adjust flavors and textures.  Too salty or spicy? Add a little bit of water.  Too thin? Add a little more olive oil or a little bit of cornstarch.  Soup is an empty canvas and is open and willing for whatever you have to offer.  So add what you love, and enjoy!

The soup turned out better than I could have expected.  The cinnamon and nutmeg offered such a warm and comforting flavor that reminded me of the holidays.  The chili powder left a spicy kick after each bite that gave so much flavor.  My roommate and I enjoyed alongside a baguette and great conversation.  It was a hit and will definitely be made again.  Keep in mind, this recipe fully fed three (food-loving) girls.



If you would like an actual recipe that is similar to this, look here.  Although, I recommend adding some more spices!




Beso wanted to watch me cook


Disclaimer: please don't actually fall into a bowl, just enjoy the flavors of fall, in a bowl. :)

3 comments:

  1. I know I comment on all of your posts.... but I thoroughly enjoy the disclaimer and must add that I was lucky enough to try this delicious soup and as far as tasting like seasons go, this soup is a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Butternut squash makes great soup...your Beso is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lauren, this is Cristeta. Loving this blog! I, too, make a butternut squash soup but it's kinda different. Similar methods, but I add heavy whipping cream for a more velvety texture and balsamic vinegar to accentuate the flavor of the squash. Also, my secret ingredient is to replace half the amount of onions with leeks--they're a sweeter alternative and perfect for this kind of soup.

    You're spice choice is super interesting--that would certainly add a great zing. Love the ideas :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers