Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Bun Mi, Please

Attention poor college students and cheap eaters alike: welcome to the world of Vietnamese sandwiches!  I am aware that Bun Mi isn't any new revelation to U of M college students but in case you have been living under a rock, Bun Mi is a sandwich shop at 604 Washington SE in Stadium Village on the U of M campus.  Bun Mi is inspired from the Vietnamese sandwich bahn mi that comes in a French baguette with some kind of meat (at Bun Mi the options are lemongrass chicken, grilled beef or traditional BBQ Pork) pickled vegetables, French pâté. and a special mayo.  If you get the combo meal, you get french fries served with their special sauce and a can of pop.  One of the best parts of Bun Mi is the price; this whole meal is 5.99 + tax.  Let me tell you, this is more than just a sandwich and fries.  There are so many things I love about Bun Mi so I will narrow it down to my top 5:

  1. The Sandwich: I think the real stars of this sandwich are the veggies.  There are pickled carrots and daikon, cucumber, green onions (fav) and spicy jalapeños.  They add a really refreshing crunch to the sandwich and make it feel like something that has actually been made fresh.  You can taste that there are people back in the kitchen paying attention to these vegetables and making them a key element to the sandwich, rather than just adding them as filler or to make the sandwich appear healthier. The pickling process of the carrots and daikon allow them to add crunch and acidity that add a nice balance.  They have purpose on this sandwich and their purpose is well served.  The vegetables along with the fresh cilantro balance out the meatiness you get from the meat very nicely.  The French pâté is one of those things you don't even know you are tasting, but you are kind of like, "hmm what is that?"  It is creamy along with the mayo and they really bring the sandwich all together.  Then you get the spicy kick from the jalapeños that let you know your taste buds are working.  If you really like it spicy, throw a couple of lines of sriracha on it, and you're good to go.  All together, these ingredients, flavors and textures create a really unique sandwich that is like a whole meal in itself.
  2. Sriracha + Mayonnaise: This is what really sold me on Bun Mi.  Their fries are unbelievable in the first place because they have mastered how to make a fry crunchy from using a some kind batter, yet still taste like a potato on the inside.  But, the sauce to dip them in is what brings them to a whole new level.  Yes it is just two ingredients (I found out myself because, well, I asked) but it is the perfect two ingredients that deserve to stand alone on my list.  I found out my love of sriracha by trying it with mayo- who knew?  It is spicy, creamy, balanced and the perfect dip for my fries and or sandwich to bring it all together.  It usually comes to me licking the little cup it comes in clean.
  3. Something Different: Yeah you can go to Subway or Jimmy Johns for a cheap sandwich, but let me ask you, why?  Bun Mi is not only unique for U of M students, but for Minneapolis.  Their is a definite void of these kinds of sandwiches in Minneapolis.  They are much more popular in other parts of the country and there is a Vietnamese food truck on Food Network's "The Great Food Truck Race."  But as far as in Minneapolis, I mostly see it on larger Vietnamese restaurant's menus like in Midtown Global Market or at Saigon in St. Paul.  And as for the U of M campus, there are a couple of places to go for a quick, cheap lunch, but nothing as unique or satisfying.  Bun Mi was started by U of M grads and I can always appreciate supporting a non-chain restaurant (cough cough Chipotle, Noodles & Co, McDonald's = booring).  The concept of Bun Mi as well as the flavors offered in their food are bold, bright and definitely something different than your usual cheap college lunch on the go.
  4. Cheap Date: My boyfriend and I went to Bun Mi for lunch the other day the total was around 13 dollars.  This included two sandwiches (his a "special" with BBQ Pork AND grilled Beef, 50 cents more) two orders a fries and two drinks.  I think food tastes even better when you know you aren't overpaying.  Well priced, satisfying, quality food.
  5. Everything Else: Yes, there is a menu beyond their sandwiches and it is extensive at that.  They also specialize in bubble tea which is something I have yet to try.  They have many unique and traditional flavors from passion fruit to taro or coconut.  I have tried and loved their salads for a lighter choice.  It is basically the sandwich minus the bread plus vermicelli noodles and lettuce.  You get all the flavors of the sandwich in salad form.  They also have a lot of great appetizers that I have tried before and really enjoyed like the fresh spring rolls, fried egg rolls or cream cheese wontons. 

So if you haven't already tried it and you are hungry for lunch between classes this fall or just walking back to campus from Paradigm where you just bought your overly priced course packet, go to Bun Mi to save some money and try something new.  If you don't try it at Bun Mi, I strongly encourage you to try a bahn mi sandwich in some variation from somewhere!

Other great restaurants with Vietnamese sandwiches:

Saigon Restaurant and Bakery
Quang's
Lu's Sandwich

Leave comments about your thoughts/experiences/recommendations!

5 comments:

  1. lauren,

    you have a lot of interesting things to say about food! i definitely want to try this restaurant (i DO live under a rock...but also never lived near the u of m campus, so that is my excuse!)

    but i probably shouldnt have read this when i was staaaaaaaarving...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I saw this place go up but I never got to try it before I moved. Sounds delicious! Love pickled veggies. And I just wanted to say that I recently fell in love with Sriracha. Can't wait to try mixing it with mayo for a dip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love the bahn mi, and I can't wait to make one. Probably won't be as good as Bun Mi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you should go to Peter's Grill..... with me and grace..... on monday......

    ReplyDelete

Followers